Friday, June 21, 2013

Tarte Smooth Operator | The Powder for Drier Skin

It's Friday, Friday! Who's excited that it's finally Friday? Me! Tomorrow is the Mermaid Parade in Coney Island, which I only realized today and now I'm scrambling to find someone to go with! So far, no takers. Eh, if I have to go by myself, I'll go by myself. I just want to see the mermaids ... who are mostly dudes in drag, haha! Anyway, where am I going with this? No where, stay on track Jess!

Today I'm talking about the finishing powder made for all beauties, but that'll also work nicely on dry skin beauties! Before getting this powder I was all over the NARS Light Reflecting Powder, but after talking to my friend Julia she suggested I try Tarte's Smooth Operator, which is a micronized clay finishing powder. It's a translucent powder, that's supposed to not only mattify your skin, but also minimize the appearance of your pores and replenish your skin. The 'replenish' part is what reeled me in. I love powdering my face because it helps my foundation last that much longer but sometimes that just means I'm going to make my face look that much more dry. The magical Amazonian clay does about a gazillion beautiful things for your skin, which is why Tarte loves using it in so many of their products! Amazonian clay in this powder makes your skin smoother, mattifies it, and at the same time hydrates your skin so that the appearance of dryness and flakiness is reduced. They not only say that, but it actually does that!

Smooth Operator makes my skin feel and look smooth. It can look a bit flaky if my skin is feeling particularly parched and I haven't moisturized that day, but other than that it looks great - no dry patches around blemishes or around my nose. This is exceptionally good for setting under eye concealers and brighteners! It keeps the concealer put throughout the day and prevents it from creasing. Since it's summer and I haven't been wearing too much foundation, or a heavy layer of it, using it to set my under eye make up has been my favorite way to use it. Also, just buffing this on its own on my face slightly evens out the redness on my face, controls the gah-ross sweat and still smoothes my skin!

I leave the packaging for last because it is gorgeous but may be the reason you hate this product if you don't do your research. The powder comes in a typical twisty-top pot? mini-jar? (see below, haha) with a really nice palm tree design on the cover! Now when you twist off the cover you'll notice the sifter and then you'll notice it comes with one teeny whole. Yes, the sifter is one teeny hole. When I first started using it I couldn't get ANY of the product out. You can hold it upside down and tap it all you want but nothing will come out. *I almost returned it because of this* but I really wanted to try it and didn't want to have to take off the itty, bitty sifter to do it. So I dug a little deeper, read reviews on Sephora and found out you have to push down on the sifter with your thumbs to get the product out. When you push down the powder just puffs out of the sifter. Problem solved! (but don't push too hard because then you'll end up with powder everywhere) At first it was bit strange to have to push to get my product out of a tiny sifter but it means that I can toss this in my bag and don't have to worry about it exploding! I'm still getting used to the fact that it's a powdered-power instead a pressed powder, but other than that's it's really lovely on the skin and the fact that I don't have to worry about looking flakey is a big plus for me!
What do you think? What are you favorite finishing powders?

10 comments:

  1. I love this powder! I used to use it all the time when my skin was drier, but now my skins more combination so I like the Revlon Nearly Naked powder more :) But I agree, this is a really great powder, I love how smooth it makes my skin look!

    xo aly

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't tried this, but it's going on my 'to try' list now! I'm currently using It Cosmetics Bye Bye Pores Loose Setting Powder and it's a nice finish for drier skin types as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the mini size from a kit and used it in my foundation routine video. I really like it for setting undereye concealer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to see a mermaid parade!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Believe it or not I have never tried a translucent powder before! This one sounds interesting though...my dry skin is more combination now that it is summer so maybe this would work for me setting my foundation or concealer. Thanks for a thorough review :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tend to prefer pressed powders because I find them easier to work with, but the powder itself sounds lovely :) Gotta love anything that gives that finishing touch to your makeup, smooths everything out and locks it in!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jessica, you're gonna make me go broke! First the Maybelline lipstick, then the Rimmel foundation, now this... XD

    ReplyDelete
  8. Finally, a review where I don't now have to go buy something, since I already use this (hehe) and have a back up on hand! :P So glad you like it as much as I do! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the fun and informative review Jessica! Loving your style :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been loving CG/olay powder for almost a year now.. the first time I have stuck with a powder that long. I've repurchased twice. It's great for smoothing, just makes everything look better, like an airbrush or soft focus. Not drying, but stays smooth with a "dry" finish to the touch all day. Does not cling to dry patches. Has a slight satin finish but no sparkle. I have oily/combo skin, and it's been fine for me for the entire fall, winter, and spring.. I'm just now considering a more mattifying powder but it's almost July and I live in S. Louisiana where it is extremely hot and humid.. we have been 100+ heat index for the last two weeks.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I do read and respond to most comments when I can, but please refrain from spam (follow for follows, giveaways, ads, so and so forth) xx :)